Ads 468x60px

Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cholesterol Free Pancake Recipe





 Trying to find a regular pancake recipe with no cholesterol or one that is low in saturated fats is not easy! My regular pancake recipe used eggs, whole milk and oil. When I learned that I needed to fix my cholesterol levels I started playing around with the recipe a bit.

The original recipe had 2 eggs and 2 cups whole milk. That’s a lot of saturated fat and cholesterol just in those 2 ingredients.

My first adjustment was the eggs. One large egg yolk alone has 221mg of cholesterol in it, that meant there was 442 mg of cholesterol in just egg yolks! I am trying to keep my daily intake of cholesterol to under 100 mg. Now I knew I wouldn’t be eating the entire batch of pancakes by myself but that is still way too much!

Egg Yolky Separator
There is no cholesterol in egg whites, so I used my cute and handy egg separator to get the yolks out of the recipe. To make up for the missing yolks I doubled the egg whites, 2 large eggs = 4 large egg whites. I use a lot more eggs now that I don’t eat the yolks, but our new chickens will help out with that issue in a few months!

Now that I had fixed the egg problem I turned to the milk. The obvious solution was to switch to nonfat milk. I wasn’t sure if that would affect the yummy fluffiness of the pancake, so instead of using just milk, I decided to use yogurt and milk combined. It worked really well! The 2 cups of whole milk is now 1 cup of nonfat milk and 1 cup of nonfat vanilla yogurt! Boy does that yogurt make the pancakes so moist and fluffy!

Here is the final recipe for my cholesterol free pancakes :)

 2 and 1/2 cups of flour
¼ cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of aluminum free baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
4 large egg whites
1 cup of nonfat milk
1 cup of nonfat vanilla yogurt
3 tablespoons of applesauce
3 tablespoons of canola oil

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients. Pour them into the dry ingredients, stir until mixed.
Using 1/3 measuring cup, pour batter onto the hot griddle that has been lightly greased with canola oil. Cook until browned on both sides.

Makes 15 to 16 pancakes

0 comments:

Post a Comment